Want to know more about Dubai? Here’s a list of 50 Interesting Facts about Dubai that you may not have known! Read more!
Interesting Facts About Dubai
- Dubai is the largest city in the United Arab Emirates.
- Burj Khalifa in Dubai is the tallest building in the world with a total height of 829.8 m (2,722 ft).
- Burj Khalifa has the tallest service elevator in the world.
- The Burj Khalifa’s design embodies structure of Spider Lily – a regional desert flower.
- On the lowest floors of the Burj Khalifa, there is a hotel designed by Giorgio Armani.
- In 2018, Dubai visited 16.66 million tourists from around the world – it was the fourth most visited city in the world after Bangkok, London, and Paris.
- Not oil, but tourism and financial services are Dubai’s main source of income.
- China is Dubai’s largest international trading partner.
- The annual Dubai World Cup horse race offers the world’s largest win of $ 15 million.
- In Dubai, there is a high traffic accident rate (one accident almost every 3 minutes).
- The Dubai Metro is currently the largest driverless metro.
- Dubai is investing a lot of money in airport development so that passengers from every city in the world can fly straight to Dubai.
- Dubai is the 6th safest city in the world, according to CEOWORLD magazine (2018).
- The United Arab Emirates (so Dubai) does not have any income tax.
- 75% of the Dubai population is male.
- 85% of Dubai’s residents are foreigners, primarily from India.
- 25% of the Dubai population has Iranian roots.
- The official religion of Dubai is Islam, but Dubai is tolerant and respectful of other faiths.
- Holding hands for a married couple is accepted but kissing and hugging in public are not tolerated.
- There are no natural rivers in Dubai.
- The World Island is an archipelago of 300 artificial islands, made up about 4 kilometers from the city’s coasts. The islands look like a world map from a bird’s eye view.
- Dubai Palm Islands are the three largest artificial islands in the world.
- The creation of the Palm Islands started in 2001, and currently, only Palm Jumeirah has been completed.
- Palm Jumeirah was built entirely from sand and rocks.
- The construction of the Dubai Palm Islands has impacted the maritime environment, surrounding wildlife, coastal erosion, and wave patterns.
- The Sky Dubai is a ski resort with a slope, snow and penguins, located in the Mall of the Emirates.
Fun Facts About Dubai
- In Dubai, there are Gold ATM’s where you can put your credit card or money and buy gold.
- Gold Souk is the best place to buy golden souvenirs in Dubai. There are approximately 10 tonnes of gold at any given moment.
- The Dubai Fountain is the world’s largest choreographed fountain system set. It is one of the greatest places to visit in Dubai at night.
- Dubai does not have any zip codes or Postal Code. If zip code is required, 00000 is used as a zip code of UAE / Dubai.
- Dubai police drive luxury and high-performance cars such as Bugatti, McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, and more. They are used for patrolling tourist areas.
- Dubai firefighters use special jetpacks to fight with high-altitude fires.
- Dubai is offering pink-colored taxis with a female driver for the comfort of Muslim women.
- There are air-conditioned bus stops in Dubai.
- Dubailand is a project of the largest amusement park in the world, being built in Dubai. The end of works is expected for 2020.
- 30% of all world cranes are located in Dubai.
- Mohammad Basheer Abdul Khada from Dubai survived a plane crash, and six days later he won a million dollars in a lottery.
- Dubai has devised a plan to incentivize its citizens to lose weight. For every pound shed, the city gives some gold. The award doubles for children.
Burj Al Arab Facts
- The Burj Al Arab is sometimes erroneously described as the world’s only 7-star hotel. In fact, it is a 5-star hotel.
- The shape of the hotel is to imitate the ship’s sail.
- The lounge of the Burj Al Arab is one of the most expensive lounges in the world. It costs $ 1.5 million and is covered with 29,000 Swarovski crystals arranged in the shape of the Milky Way.
- There are some unusual events hosted on the Burj Al Arab helicopter’s landing. The best-known are the tennis match played on it between Andre Agassi and Roger Federer and the ball kick by Tiger Woods, opening the 2004 golf championship.
- There are full sized Hermes amenites in every Burj Al Arab suite
- Burj Al Arab employees can to invite up to three friends for a mini tour of the hotel. Only three trips per day are allowed.
Dubai Mall Facts
- The Dubai Mall is the world’s largest and most-visited shopping center with a total area of 3.8 million sq feet.
- There are more than 1200 shops in the Dubai Mall.
- Dubai Mall welcomes more than 80 million visitors annually.
- Candylicious Sweet Shop in the Dubai Mall is the world’s largest candy store with a total area of 1000 sq meters.
- The Aquarium at the Dubai Mall is the largest indoor aquarium on earth.
- Parking at the Dubai Mall can accommodate 14,000 cars.
*** Don’t miss our 1-day Dubai itinerary! ***
LIKE IT? PIN IT!