With only one day in Munich, you need to plan your itinerary carefully. As you may know, we travel with our toddler. Therefore, we need to make sure that we visit the top tourist attractions in Munich at a pleasant pace. Follow our 1-day Munich itinerary and spend a wonderful day in the capital of Bavaria.
This article may contain compensated links. Please read DISCLAIMER for more info.
>> DOWNLOAD OUR MUNICH ITINERARY: 1 DAY CHECKLIST <<
Munich – everything you need to know
Is one day in Munich enough?
One day in Munich may not be enough to get to know Munich like a local, but it is completely doable to visit Munich in a few hours and feel the unique atmosphere of this city. The most important thing is to understand that running from one attraction to another may not be the best solution. In other words, it is much better to focus only on a few places and feel the unique atmosphere of the city. We invite you to follow our 1 day Munich itinerary with our top things to do in Munich in one day.
5 interesting facts about Munich
- In Bavaria beer = food.
- Jimi Hendrix smashed his first guitar in Munich.
- The Neues Kino Gabriel in Munich is probably the oldest cinema not only in Germany but also in the world!
- Nudists in Munich are more than welcome! There are special places (for example in the English Garden) dedicated just for it.
- You will never be late in Munich because the public transport here is known as the most punctual in the world.
Getting around Munich
On your feet
With only 24hrs, it may be hard to visit Munich only on your feet. Therefore, our recommendation is to combine walking and public transport.
You can choose between underground U-Bahn, suburban trains S-Bahn, trams or buses. See the public transport network here
Tickets: It is easy to get lost when buying a public transport ticket due to a long list of different types of tickets valid for various zones and the number of passengers.
For our 1 day in Munich tour, we recommend purchasing Single Day Ticket inner zone (Single Tageskarte Innenraum) for 6.70€ if you travel alone with toddler or Gruppen Day Ticket inner zone (Gruppen Tageskarte Innenraum) for 12.80€ if you go with at least one adult. Also, two children 6-14 years count as 1 adult. In case you prefer to buy Single Tickets (Einzelfahrkarte) – they are valid for three hours and cost 2.90€. Short Distance Tickets (Kurzstrecke) is valid up to four stops and costs 1.50€. More details regarding public transportation in Munich you can find here: Munich Public Transportation
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
If you don’t know what to do in Munich and want to tick all the Munich must-sees, Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour may be a good option for you. Choose your Munich city tour out of two available options suitable for a 1-day trip:
City Tour – Sightseeing Munich: Book your ticket here
- 6 bus stops
- Duration: 1 hour
- Online tickets: adults 15.90 € / toddler up to 5 years free of charge/ children 5-15 years 9.90€
Day ticket – 3 tours: Book your ticket here
- City Tour + Nymphenburg-Olympia Tour + Schwabing Tour – 12 bus stops
- Duration: whole day, you can hop on or hop off whenever you like
- Online tickets: adults 20.90€ / toddler up to 5 years free of charge / children 5-15 years 9.90€, Family-Ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children 5-15 years) 46.90€
Prices in Munich
- A meal in the inexpensive restaurant: 12€
- Beer 0.5 liter in a restaurant: 3.80€
- Water 1.5 liter in the market: 0.50€
- Cappuccino: 3€
- Local transport – one-way ticket: 2.90€
- Gasoline 1 liter: 1.44€
- Cigarettes 20 pack: 6.40€
You may consider buying the München Card, which contains a day ticket for public transport and also a discount of up to 70% for the majority of the best things to do in Munich. Buy your München Card here.
The cost of 1-day card valid for Inner District (you may buy up to 5 days) is 9.90€ while the card valid for Entire Network costs 15.90€. Price for groups (2 to 5 persons, 2 children between 6 and 14 years of age count as one person) is consequently 19.90€ and 29.90€
What to eat in Munich
You have the entire day to enjoy Bavarian food. Here are our favorites:
- Beer – no further comments needed. It is probably the most popular meal in Bavaria.
- Weisswurst with sweet mustard – start your day in a Bavarian way with its most iconic meal
- Pretzel – grab it on the go and bring few pretzels home for your family and friends. In short, treat it as a perfect Bavarian snack
- Spaetzle – Bavarian-style noodle similar to mac and cheese.
- Schnitzel – a vast veal chop. The recipe comes from Austria, but it is very popular in Germany as well. Add potato salad or bread dumplings and have a royal dinner. Beer is not optional!
Where to stay in Munich
Jugend- und Familienhotel Augustin
Am Bavariapark 16
You will feel like home in Augustin. First of all, start your perfect day with delicious breakfast and enjoy all the Munich’s attractions within walking distance. Amongst many Munich hotels, Augustin is situated in one of the best areas to stay in Munich (also very close to Oktoberfest grounds). Modern and spacious rooms with unique decor guarantee a lot of space to play with your baby. The hotel was constructed along with sustainable principles and do its best to protect our natural environment. Friendly, helpful, and professional staff will make your visit even more comfortable. In our opinion, it is the best place to stay in Munich.
Check availability here
Top Things to Do in Munich in One Day
There is a vast variety of things to see in Munich, but we shortlisted the best, in our opinion, places to visit in Munich in a day. We took into consideration the limited time, and above all, the needs of our toddler. To sum up, let’s check what to visit in Munich!
The time you can spend here: 2h-3h
About Nymphenburg Palace
Amongst many beautiful things to see in Munich, probably this is number one amongst the things to see in Munich in one day. This former summer residence of the Wittelsbach dynasty takes the first place in terms of architecture in Europe.
- Start the walk in the Great Hall which has remained unchanged since 1758. Note the enormous ceiling painting showing the Olympian heaven.
- Then walk through the chambers and don’t miss our favorite room in the palace – Cabinet, decorated in the Rococo style.
- In the North Gallery, you can study large paintings with building projects in Nymphenburg.
- King Ludwig I’s Gallery of Beauties consists of a series of paintings of beautiful women from all classes of society. The most famous paintings in the gallery are the daughter of a shoemaker (“Schöne Münchnerin”) and the Spanish dancer.
- Watch beautiful, exotic wooden furniture in the Queen’s study and French-style furnishing in the Queen’s audience room.
- Visit the Queen’s bedchamber – the birthplace of King Ludwig II.
- Finish the Palace tour in the Palace Chapel, opened from April to October.
- Finally, stroll in the Nymphenburg Park where you can deeply breathe and enjoy the company of park’s little dwellers (such as deers, rabbits, frogs, squirrels, birds). Don’t miss the large fountains, which are considered as masterpieces of contemporary technology.
How to get there
Nymphenburg Palace is situated in the western part of Munich, and it can be easily reached by public transport. There are a few options available:
- Take S-Bahn to “Laim” and then bus to “Schloss Nymphenburg”
- Take U-Bahn to “Rotkreuzplatz” and then tram to “Schloss Nymphenburg”
You can buy one combined ticket and visit the Palace, the Marstallmuseum and the Park Palaces (however they are closed in winter) or purchase single tickets for chosen attractions.
Combined ticket 1st April – 15th October 11.50€/9€ adult/reduced
Combined ticket 16th October – 31st March 8.50€/6.5€ adult/reduced
Children under 18 years are admitted free of charge.
Experience a special concert in the Nymphenburg Palace and listen to masterpieces of classical music performed by residence soloists and members of the Munich Philharmonic.
The time you can spend here: 2h-3h
After chilly morning let’s have a Bavarian-style lunch in the heart of Munich and have a walking tour amongst its most iconic places. Altstadt is a mixture of old and modern Munich.
- Don’t miss Glockenspiel show in the heart of the Marienplatz which takes place daily at 11 AM, 12 PM or 5 PM. The show lasts around 15 minutes and finishes with a golden rooster chirping three times at the top of the Glockenspiel.
- Stroll around neo-Gothic New Town Hall
- Have a look at Frauenkirche, the tallest building in this part of the city
- Grab some fresh fruit or piece of cheese at Viktualienmarkt or join the guided tour and learn more about regional cuisine as well as international delicacies.
- Have a look at the Old Town Hall which nowadays serves as the city council representative building
- Don’t miss the most famous beer hall in the world – Hofbräuhaus am Platzl
How to get there
Take a tram 17 from Romansplatz and head to Hauptbahnhof Nord. Then change for S-Bahn S8 to Marienplatz.
English Garden (Englischer Garten)
The time you can spend here: 2h-3h
Above all, it is our favorite place in Munich, and we felt like in NY Central Park. Grab a pretzel, beer, and blanket and enjoy the afternoon playing on the grass, having a nap, or watching locals.
- Chinesischen Turm – try some Bavarian food while having a cold beer
- Monopteros is a copy of a Greek temple. Go upstairs and admire the views.
- Japanese Teahouse – take part in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony
How to get there
You can easily walk to the English Garden from Marienplatz, and it should take you around 15 minutes to get to the southern side of the park.
Day trips from Munich
You already know what to see in Munich in one day, but if you are considering spending a night in Munich and explore the neighborhoods, check out below itineraries and Munich day trips proposals:
PIN IT FOR LATER
Few words from us
We hope that you found our 1 day in Munich travel guide useful and consequently we convinced you that there are many exciting things to do in Munich in one day! We carefully chose places to visit in Munich in 1 day based on our experience, however, feel free to add your ideas in the comments below.
You may also like: